Tuesday, June 15, 2010

More Silly After Action Reports

JunoBear came and went with much rejoicing from the assembled masses. In a room above that bustling Mecca of urban sophistication that is Paddington RSL we gathered to play ASL until it came out our ears. Over two days I played three games and fundamentally had my arse handed to me in a sack. Before the suicidal lows however there was a brief high. Hi!

3rd RTR in the Rain

My first scenario was 3rd RTR in the Rain, opponent was Peter Palmer who took the British and gave away an extra German squad to do so. I would defend in all three scenarios and you'd think that I would get better at it but nooo.

The ATG went into T4 to cover the road. I bulked up in building P4 to extract casualties early and scattered the remainder of my defence across R5 and S6. My tanks would help cover the southern flank in case Peter tried a flanking manoeuvre through the woods.

The British struck in two directions at once, the main attack coming across the plowed field heading for P4 and a generous diversion heading south. Initial defensive fire shots send a couple of units scurrying back in rout including the mortar HS, oh joy. His tanks trundled forward looking to gain the wall at P6-P7. Three turns in and despite defensive fire his main force had closed up to P4 and was exchanging fire with the stalwart defenders who more than held their own. My tanks came on and were given an abrupt reality check when Peter destroyed the MkIV with his first shot from an A9. With two tanks guarding the wall Peter sent his remaining armour north to help break into P4, my ATG took out an A9 but the Vickers and an A13 pushed forward and soon my defenders were under severe pressure. VBM freeze allowed his troops into the building while my MkIIIs lurked nervously in the background and soon P4 was in danger of falling. With two turns to go and British squads infiltrating north of P4 to threaten the ATG and sieze buildings bravely defended by dummies I took two risky moves. I moved my tanks across the front of the British vehicles now safely behind their wall to challenge the tanks in the village and finally I committed myself to God and charged two squads and my 9-1 into close combat to retake P4. I killed a squad and lost one plus the leader. Bad, especially as his remaining tanks now moved forward as well. His A13 in the village immobilised a MkIII but the ATG immobilised the Vickers, both crews remained gallantly at their posts. Seeking to capitalise on his position Peter reinforced the melee in P4 with another squad and his own 9-1. In CC I killed them all and the game turned. Finally scored a tank victory when my surviving MkIII took out an A13 and the ATG took out the other A9. With victory within my grasp I damn near threw it away trying to recapture lost buildings (I could have just held tight) but fortunately the CC gods were kind and at the end Peter didn't have the time or the manpower to gain his objectives. A victory, yay Neil.

Ne Pas Subir

Yay not so Neil. I faced David Wallace in Ne Pas Subir where my heroic Germans were attempting to defend themselves against the scurrilous French who unreasonably wanted their country back. In contrast to 3rd RTR I never really felt I knew what I was doing here, David helped me realise that I was right, I didn't.

I hid my ATG behind a hedge near one bridge and set up the bulk of my forces in a pair of buildings covering the bridge. Then I just had to wait for the French to arrive. Arrive they did, squads charging forward to occupy the factory on board 23 and the dreaded Char Bs clunking forward in support. After that point I was simply shot to pieces. Two squads, an 8-1 and an lmg traded fire with a pair of French squads across the river. All wound up broken, the impact on the French? One squad became fanatic. Across from the factory my hmg and 9-1 likewise traded fire with a stack of French squads, hmg and 9-1. The result, he broke his hmg and generated a hero (not simultaneously) my 9-1 and HS crew likewise fled for the rear. My armour came on and was promptly dispatched by the Char Bs which were nosing across the bridge and doing great execution. My MkIII survived by hiding behind a building. Slowly but relentlessly the Char Bs smashed position after position my only response was a couple of shock results from my ATG firing into their rear. In turn five he sent his infantry across, my surviving units fought hard and broke some units but ultimately I was doomed and I conceded with tears in my eyes.

Melee Near the Coast

My third and final defence saw me commanding the Chinese as they attempt to hold back rampaging Japanese attackers. I actually quite liked the Chinese in this one and cheerfully chose them while Dave Wilson selected the attacking Japs. The mmg, a squad and the 8-1 went on the hill in the north while a pair of chunky stacks went into the jungle. A mix of squads and dummies served as speed bumps in the buildings near the creek. A mortar went up on the ridge and would soon prove its utter worthlessness. A couple more speed bumps on board 47 and the remaining squads went to defend the village that I confidently (and accurately) expected my shattered forces to retreat onto.

Dave sent a large force through the jungle while all his mortars and a smaller force went for the buildings near the stream. Luck was with me as his mortars couldn't buy a smoke shell and one of them ran out of WP as well. He matched my two stacks in the jungle with two of his own and charged forward stripping their concealment and then heading into CC. My defensive fire had some effect but my stack of two squads, 8-0 and lmg pinned on his advance fire and died completely in CC for no result. The other stack did better killing a squad and an officer and falling back in reasonable order. On the other side of the board he closed up to the buildings near the stream and in the next couple of turns ground his way through them. He banzai'ed out of the stream but the remnants of my force fell back in reasonable order (routing skillfully) leaving a broken mortar behind them. My reinforcements came on securing a couple of rear buildings as he closed up on the village. In turn five I thought it looked good for me. In turn six I thought it looked ok. In turn seven I shook Dave's hand as he crushed my positions and one deeply annoying HS ruined my last counter attack. Sigh!

Much fun had by all, thanks to Aaron who organised a great tournament with a very good turnout.

1 comment:

  1. Great posts, makes me yearn.
    One of these days I'll get a chance to play ASL again and on that day I hope to give you a game.
    I predict that could be as soon as 3 to 4 months away!
    Gird your loins ...... a storm is coming.

    ReplyDelete