Saturday, September 13, 2014

EelQuest 2014: The Slime and the Fury!

OK, I seem to be getting a little obsessed with eels.  After my eel discussions last weekend I absolutely had to go and see some eels for myself.  Possibly to convince myself they were really there.  So today I got up early (or at least early for a Saturday) and set off on an expedition of eel discovery.  The sky was grey and a light drizzle frosted the air.  It seemed like ideal eel spotting weather.  As if I'd know.  I actually know nothing about eels but I figured that something damp and slimy might not be a fan of blazing hot days under a glorious blue sky.

So my journey began.  I set off from my home and sallied forth to where the eels gather.  I passed by Marrickville with its charming orthodox church and crashingly tasteless catholic one.  I didn't stop to pause at the Portuguese restaurants of Petersham.  Through Stanmore I journeyed without a blink and skirted the familiar entertainments of Newtown.  I passed a hospital, the usual jumble of mismatched buildings and paid no heed to the wailings of the afflicted for I was a man on a mission.  Finally there it was, Victoria Park a green arrowhead pointing at the city, total travelling time from my place - twenty minutes on the bus.

Victoria Park has a pond in it and within this pond there are eels.  At least according to a friend of mine there are.  It isn't so surprising, Victoria Park used to be a creek before it was drained.  The pond (dignified with the name Lake Hortham) is all that's left of the water.  Even the pond has been drained in the past but somehow when they put the water back the eels turned up again as well.  I've no idea where they came from our how they reach their breeding area.

I must confess I didn't really expect to see eels.  The sky was a muddy grey colour and so was the water.  The eels in the pond have a pretty similar colouring themselves.  There was a moment of excitement immediately on my arrival when a pond denizen broke the surface with an attention attracting splash but it turned out to be an ordinary fish (probably a European carp) and not worth a photo.  The eels were of a more retiring disposition.  Obviously this was going to require a little thought.  Fortunately if you want little thought I'm the man for the job,.

I repaired to the gatehouse to plot my next move.  The Gatehouse used to be the gatehouse to the park.  After that it was a toilet block, now its a cafe.  My enjoyment of the food would have been greater if I hadn't known its history.  Over bacon and eggs I developed my plan.  What eel could resist bacon and eggs?  I placed some offcuts from my plate into a napkin and wandered back to the pond.  Once there I literally cast my bread upon the waters.

The response was dramatic.  Within a second I was so deep in gulls and ducks there wasn't any room for eels.  There appeared to be a slight flaw in my plan.  I stuffed my eel bait into my pocket and stared down the avian interlopers.  They stared right back.  Eventually though they got bored of me and moved along to monster a couple of small children but I knew the moment I dropped any food in the water they would be back.

Disconsolately I trudged along the edge of the pond.  Looking down I saw an eel about twelve inches away from my foot.  It swam leisurely back and forwards, obligingly posing for photographs before vanishing into the murk.  With quickened step I walked around the pond and discovered that the place appears to be swarming with eels.  I took so many photos that my phone battery ran out.  I took a couple of videos as well.  Sadly on later review the photos weren't terribly impressive.  At most you can see a sort of eel shaped shadow in the water.  But that doesn't matter.  I saw eels!  I can't tell you how pleased I am.  Hopefully now I can put this entire eel business behind me and get back to slagging off panda bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment