Thursday, January 3, 2013

That Syncing Feeling

My employers in their benevolent wisdom have recently replaced my iPhone 4 with a brand spanking new iPhone 5.  An iPhone 5 is way better than it's predecessor because its like a whole extra number.  The battery also runs out quicker so you know it must be doing something cool.

I have no objection to my employers providing me with the latest in communication devices although I am starting to wonder when they are going to insert a microchip into my skull.  Of course getting a new phone meant that I had to sync it, a procedure simple for cavemen living in prehistoric times but a journey replete with swearing, tears and shrieking for me.  I'm not certain what syncing actually is but my colleagues assured me it was something that had to be done.

With the sync thing successfully accomplished (at least as far as I can tell) my new iPhone is working as it should (I think).  Certainly it sends and receives texts and emails.  I understand it can even make phone calls.  The five minute gap between being fully charged and running out of battery is a little irritating but doesn't cause a problem if you leave it permanently plugged in.  This limits your mobility somewhat but does make the iPhone 5 the ideal communication device for hermits, paraplegics and other people who don't get out much, like the dead.

This iPhone also has Siri.  I thought that was the name of Tom Cruise's daughter (I later learnt that was Katie Holmes) but apparently not.  Siri is a disembodied voice that speaks from your iPhone and tells you stuff.  Specifically it tells you stuff your iPhone can do for you.  This is an amazing feature, rather than waste whole seconds doing things on your iPhone you can waste seconds telling Siri to do them for you.  Try not to swear at her, she doesn't like it.

Some people might think Siri is rather pointless but they're forgetting the target market.  It's entirely possible that hermits, paraplegics and the dead will welcome the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment