Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I Wouldn't Eat the Honey From this Lot

My apartment is overrun with bees; stupid bees.  Bees that wander in through a wide open door and then bang themselves repeatedly against a few inches of glass right next to the equally open window.  I must admit I thought better of bees than that.  Bees have always struck me as being one of the more intelligent insects.  To see them indulging in idiotic window banging like common flies was rather disappointing.

Unless I'm wrong about the average intelligence of bees there is only one possible explanation; the tree outside my flat is home to a community of mentally retarded bees.  Although a source of personal disillusion such a settlement is rather encouraging from the overall bee point of view.  Since these idiot bees could not possibly build their own hive it stands to reason that other, more functional, members of bee society built it for them.  Once this halfway hive was constructed all the idiot bees had to do was move in.

It says a lot about the social conscience of bees generally that they would create a cheery community for their less accomplished kinfolk.  A place in a nice tree surrounded by all sorts of interesting windows for the inhabitants to beat themselves against.  Obviously bees are far in advance of humans when it comes to caring for the mentally challenged members of their society.

Wait a minute.  I just had an ugly thought.  It is just possible that this herding together of all the stupid bees has nothing to do with an advanced social conscience and everything to do with a rather nasty form of social darwinism.  They build a nice hive, dump all the stupid bees into it and make sure they do it in a location richly provided with windows for the hapless fools to beat their brains out against.  I never realised how truly horrible bees are.  They have subcontracted a forced euthanasia policy out to unsuspecting humans who don't realise that our predilection for windows is playing into the hands of a grim racial purity policy.

I have been blind.  Never did I suspect that my desire for a light airy apartment might make me an unintentional accomplice to such horrors.  Let this blog entry be the proof that I shall not stand idly by and tolerate this in silence.  You know the old saying, "First they came for the bees and I said nothing...".  This then is my gesture, a token of my refusal to be silent in the face of such cruelty.  I would do more but I'm flat out picking dead bee carcasses off my carpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment