Saturday, November 16, 2019

Travelling Hopefully - Bookshop Edition



There was a Jamaican festival on the next day which featured various Jamaican themed stuff.  At least I presume it did what with it being a Jamaican festival and all.  It would seem a little silly for it to feature Croatian themed stuff, although it would have the advantage of surprise.  I mention the above because there was a vague inclination on our part to attend said festival.  The day, however, was just as damp, cold and rainy as its predecessor and we decided a Jamaican festival would not perhaps be at its best in such conditions (although a Croatian festival would probably fit right in).  So we went to Carlton instead.


The original intention behind going to Carlton was to see a movie but the movie we wanted to see wasn't showing and as we attempted to coordinate another movie between the three of us it slowly became apparent that none of us actually wanted to go to the movies.  With movies and rarely to be experienced cultural insights crossed off the list of things we might want to do today I suggested we just go to cafes and bookshops.  It is an indication of the dearth of options that this suggestion was actually taken up.


Fortunately Carlton has cafes and a bookshop.  Indeed Lygon Street seems to be an endless stretch of cafes spilling out onto the streets and greatly inconveniencing both pedestrians and the local homeless who have few places left to set up shop.  We wandered past multiple cafes occupied by the sort of people who looked as though they would be enjoying their café experience more if the weather was better and plunged into the nearest bookshop where I bought half of it.  I even bought a book for my friend despite the fact that I lent him a book ten years ago and not only has he not returned it he hasn't even read it.


After book shopping we invoked the café clause of the "café and bookshop" agreement for a bite to eat.  The very attractive waitress turned up her nose at the books I had bought and focused her attention on my two companions.  Honestly I needn't have come to Melbourne at all.  Suiting actions to thoughts I imposed, once again, on my host for a lift to the airport.  In contrast to Sydney Melbourne airport managed to get me out of their city with smooth efficiency.  So much efficiency in fact that you might suspect they wanted me to leave. Much thanks to Morgan for letting me stay and to Rafferty for cooking a delicious breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment