Friday, September 30, 2016

Travelling Hopefully - Missing Everything of Interest

There is beautiful scenery going through the Glacier region of western Montana.  I know this because my rail car attendant told me so when I mentioned that I'd been asleep in my cabin for the past two hours.  I couldn't help it, I'd been awake for the previous thirty hours due to various Amtrak related issues and I desperately needed to sleep.  I did see some nice scenery when we left Spokane and followed what I believe was the Kootenay River through scenic mountain stuff.  The water was a glassy green and apparently thronged with salmon.  Mind you they could have been piranha for all I know, I didn't exactly get a good look at any from the train.

A person familiar with the area announced that a swing bridge and some picturesque falls were coming up.  I waited, camera in hand but unfortunately somebody had parked a massive freight train at that point and I didn't get so see either of them.  I did get to see an extremely long freight train mind you.  Then as previously mentioned I went to bed.

I woke up to rolling cattle country.  One can always tell when you're passing through a rural area.  The twin markers of rusting vehicle wrecks and sheds that are falling apart tells you that civilisation has arrived or at least thrown away its crappy cars and collapsing sheds on its way past.  I think I saw a tumbleweed but it may just have been a bush that had fallen on its side.

After passing through rolling cattle country I passed through more rolling cattle country and then some more after that.  Eventually the rolling cattle country ended and I went through corn country instead.  That went on for quite a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment