Wednesday, May 11, 2011

An Obviously Unsuccessful Attempt to Improve My Mind

Currently the foyer of my building is playing host to an exhibition of sculptures. A friend informed me that this is called art so I wandered around during my lunch break to improve my mind, or at least kill some time. Some of it was quite good, some of it was quite bad and I'm pretty sure that one of the pieces was actually a pinata stolen from a child's birthday party. So far I have almost tripped over that one three times.

There they all were, products of some artists skill (or at least enthusiasm), standing on plinths, resting in niches (or possibly the other way round) or, like the pinata, popping up where you least expect them. I sure that pinata roams at night. Naturally the sculptures I like don't lurk nearby with a siren song, just that damned pinata. I'm really afraid its going to follow me home and then I'll start feeding it because I can't bear the idea of it being kicked out into the cold winter night.

I rather like the idea of a sculpture exhibition in our foyer, I'm just not entirely sure why it's there. Is Sydney critically short of gallery space? I mean, I know we're not Melbourne but come on. Surely there are a couple of derelict buildings sitting around somewhere. We could have an artist do them up and his refusal to do so would be an artistic statement in itself. A statement of what I'm not sure but that's what we pay art critics for. Until the happy day when sculptors can proudly display their works in a rotting deathtrap filled with falling plaster and load bearing members suddenly failing to meet a crucial part of their definition I guess they are stuck with displaying in our foyer.

Its a more fitting venue than perhaps they realise. When our building was first completed it won an architectural award. I really hope it was bestowed before anybody discovered the roof leaked. Perhaps the same architect could be hired to convert those abandoned buildings. In the meantime the sculptures lurk around our foyer like a tiger in long grass waiting for the moment to pounce. There is one advantage to displaying in my building; the occupants are various government departments and high end professional firms. This means the foyer has a constant stream of high net worth individuals (plus me) trotting backwards and forwards, and all these sculptures are for sale. I for one, if I'm not careful, am in danger of becoming the proud owner of a broken pinata.

1 comment:

  1. At least I now know what a pinata is - I had to look it up......I really hope it doesn't follow you home.....

    ReplyDelete