Saturday, January 7, 2017

Anyone for Something Vaguely Resembling Tennis?

I watched the final of the Hopman Cup last night.  There were two gripping tennis matches plus something called the "Fast Four" which is the latest travesty to be inflicted on the long suffering mixed doubles format.  The whole purpose seems to be to get mixed doubles out of the way as quickly as possible.  In a few years time they'll be deciding mixed doubles matches with a simple coin toss and neither the players nor the audience will have to bother turning up at all.

As I understand it the Hopman Cup was inaugurated at least in part to revive the mixed doubles version of the game.  Since that time the organisers have obviously decided to get rid of it instead but rather than give it a merciful bullet they've chosen to torture it slowly to death over the course of several years.

This isn't to say I didn't enjoy watching it.  There was speed, skill, touch and amazing net play; all the stuff I watch mixed doubles to see.  It was definitely the next best thing to a real tennis match.  Unfortunately just as the match should have been getting interesting it was over instead.  My enjoyment was also somewhat spoiled by the pressure on my bladder.  I was afraid if I went to the bathroom the match might be over before I got back.  The Fast Four format seems to have been designed for people who have better things to do than watch or play tennis.  It's motto should be "Don't worry, it'll all be over soon".

I do understand that organisers of tennis competitions need to keep up with public tastes. They need to put on a show that will bring people in and engage and excite the crowd.  There are plenty of different sports and entertainment options out there and since most people these days have the attention span of a gnat something fast and hard hitting might draw more people to the game.  The T-20 format has certainly done that for cricket maybe Fast Four can do the same for tennis.  For the record I don't like T-20 either, its essentially batting practice in front of an audience.

As for me I guess I will continue to watch Fast Four tennis.  It's not as good as what its replacing but if international tennis had to rely on my patronage for its financial survival we wouldn't have any tennis at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment