Wednesday, June 17, 2015

From Supermarket Hyena to Office Jackal

I slink around the outskirts of the feeding pack.  They ignore me, focusing on the meal in front of them.  There is contempt in this disregard, they know I am neither fast enough nor strong enough to challenge them for this kill.  My presence is not so much tolerated as disregarded.

Hunger bites at me as I roam, my gait a visible struggle between fear and desire.  From time to time a gap opens in the feeders and I get a brief, tantalising glimpse of my target.  It is diminishing rapidly as the pack eats its fill.  Fear grips me; perhaps there will be nothing left by the time the pack has finished.  It has happened before and I have limped away from the feeding ground as hungry as I came.

My fear makes me bold and I edge closer, eyeing the gaps that have begun to appear as first one then another leaves, their sagging bellies a testimony to their satiation.  I must be quick, the unity of the pack may be broken but even individually those that remain could inflict terrible wounds and leave me helpless, prey for those equally desperate.

I spot my prize, a choice morsel unaccountably overlooked.  My slink turns to a prowl, I am the hunter now.  Hunting someone else's kill is the most dangerous hunt of all but I am practiced.  It is how I eat.  Twice more I circle, ignoring fleeting opportunities, waiting for my moment.  A gap opens, widens, I strike!  I seize the morsel and immediately flee ignoring howls of outrage, knowing they are too well fed to pursue.

I do not pause until I have reached the sanctuary of my desk, there to drool over my prize in safety.  A slice of chocolate cake from Loveday's birthday celebrations.  Moist, thick icing; delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment